This document sets out the amaysim group’s policy on handling the personal information that amaysim and its related companies collect about individuals including customers, potential customers and shareholders.
- Protection of your privacy and personal information
Each member of the amaysim group is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). As a supplier of telecommunications services, the amaysim group also has obligations under other laws, regulations and industry codes, including the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth).
- What personal information do we collect?
In order for us to supply services and benefits to you, we need to collect certain personal information about you. This personal information may include your name, address, telephone number, date of birth, email address and other contact details, bank account, credit card details, credit history and other financial details, occupation and details of your use of our products, services or benefits (which may include details of telephone calls you have made and received and of other types of communication you use).
We will not collect sensitive information from you.
You do not have to provide us with any personal information, however, if you do not do so, we may not be able to complete a transaction you have entered into, finalise payment of a product or service you have requested, make delivery of a product or service you have ordered, grant credit terms, validate your entry in a promotion, or otherwise provide you with the products, services or benefits you have requested.
- How we collect personal information
We may collect personal information in a range of ways, including:
- when you provide it directly to us, for example, by submitting it to us via our websites, via any electronic or paper forms you submit to us, or by you providing information to our representatives by telephone, email, Live Chat or any social media networks through which you liaise with us;
- in the course of providing you with a requested product, service or benefit;
- from third party service providers, business partners, including, without limitation, commercial associates or credit reporting agencies;
- from publicly available sources;
- from electronic tagging mechanisms such as cookies;
- from our records of your use of the service; and
- when we are required to do so by law, or to meet the requirements of a government body or agency, for example, when we are required to verify your identity from certain documents before supplying a product, service or benefit to you.
- Why we collect, use and disclose personal information
We collect, use and discloses personal information about you in order to supply our products, services or benefits to our customers, or for related purposes. Here are a few examples:
- performing credit checks;
- billing for your use of our services and administering your use of our products, services and benefits;
- business planning and product development;
- informing you about problems with our products, services or benefits;
- informing you about ways our products, services or benefits, or your use of our products, services or benefits, can be improved;
- reviewing and improving our products, services or benefits;
- providing you with marketing and promotional material, including by direct marketing (see 8, below), information about other products and services, including products and services provided by our commercial associates (unless you tell us that you opt-out of the use of your personal information for these purposes, as detailed below);
- seeking, obtaining or receiving professional advice, such as legal or financial advice;
- where required by or in accordance with any industry code or standard, where required or authorised by law, including law enforcement and national security agencies and other government and regulatory authorities (for example, to assist in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud protection, detection and prosecution);
- complying with our obligations as a supplier of telecommunications services, for example, in order to maintain the Integrated Public Number Database or to give effect to mobile number portability;
- protecting the safety of you or any member of the public, for example, to avoid an imminent threat to a person’s life; and
- in order to provide services to stakeholders, either by our self or through our share registry, including providing services to shareholders in connection with their holding in amaysim
- Who we may disclose your personal information to
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties who work with us in our business (located in Australia or overseas) including, without limitation, any of our commercial associates, related bodies corporate (as defined in the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth)), suppliers and business partners, agents, consultants, professional advisers to help provide, promote or improve the products, services or benefits we provide, or where authorised or required to do so by law.
For example, we may disclose your personal information to:
- the operator of our customer service centre and relevant partners;
- our billing and debt-recovery service providers;
- our information technology suppliers;
- our share registry, Computershare Limited
- the National Australia Bank, the Commonwealth Bank, EP2 Payments, Edentiti, PayPal Australia and SecurePay, as set out in 5 and 6 below.
We may also disclose personal information in circumstances where it is authorised or required to do so by law, and in circumstances where we consider it is appropriate to do so in order to ensure laws are complied with, for example, to reduce the occurrence of fraud.
- Use and disclosure of your personal information for identity checking requirements
We may use and disclose your personal information when legally required to do so, including for the undertaking of identity checks via the government Digital Verification Service (DVS).
In order for you to activate your service and as part of the identity checking process, some of your personal information will be supplied to Edentiti Pty. Ltd. (“Edentiti”) so as to perform an identity check against the Australian Government’s Document Verification Service (“DVS”). Edentiti may also be required by law to collect and disclose personal information about you, for example, under counter terrorism legislation.
If you do not consent to your personal information being supplied to Edentiti or the DVS, you may not be able to activate a prepaid mobile service with us.
- Use of your personal information by Financial Institutions
We engage financial institutions including National Australia Bank Limited (“NAB”), the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (“CBA”), EP2 Payments Pty Limited (“EP2 Payments”), PayPal Australia Pty Limited (“PayPal”) Westpac Banking Corporation (“Westpac”), Secure Pay Pty Ltd (“SecurePay”) to supply merchant facilities to us. These merchant facilities allow us to process electronic transactions, including credit and debit transactions.
In order for you to use the electronic transaction facilities that we make available in connection with our services, some of your personal information will be supplied to NAB, CBA EP2 Payments, PayPal, Westpac and SecurePay. In some circumstances, information you supply will be collected directly by NAB, CBA, EP2 Payments, PayPal, Westpac and SecurePay and will not be disclosed or available to us. NAB, CBA, EP2 Payments, PayPal, Westpac and SecurePay may be required by law to collect and disclose personal information about you, for example, under counter terrorism and anti-money laundering legislation.
NAB, CBA, EP2 Payments, PayPal, Westpac and SecurePay may disclose your personal information to service suppliers and companies and organisations that they have a commercial relationship with, or to other organisations or authorities that they are authorised or required by law to disclose to.
- Use of personal information by Google Analytics
We use Google Analytics to record information about the number of and types of visitors to our websites.
We and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimise and serve ads based on someone’s past visits to our websites. We explain what cookies are, and why we use them, at 9 below. You can find out more about cookies by taking a look at Google AdSense.
You can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customise Google Display Network ads using the Google Ads Preferences Manager.
You can also use the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on to instruct the Google Analytics Java script not to send any information about the website visit to Google Analytics.
- Direct marketing
We may also use and disclose your personal information to send direct marketing to you from us and/or from third parties including, without limitation, social networking sites, our related bodies corporate, commercial associates, suppliers and business partners, agents, consultants, professional advisers, who work with us to help provide, promote or improve the products, services or benefits we provide.
The direct marketing may relate to the products, services and benefits we provide or the products, services or benefits of other parties or to keep you informed of new developments we believe may be of interest to you.
You may opt-out of receiving this direct marketing through the unsubscribe function that will be made available to you with each direct marketing communication. Alternatively you may opt-out of receiving direct marketing for each of the following brands as follows:
amaysim customers, by going to the ”my amaysim” section of our website at www.amaysim.com.au or by using our live chat service, e-mail or calling our service hotline on 1300 808 300.
AusBBS customers, by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Vaya customers, by contacting 1300 008 292 or email@example.com
ZenConnect customers, by contacting 1300 885 936 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Live Connected customers, by contacting 1300 008 292 or email@example.com
We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using cookies. A cookie is a text file, which is generated by your internet browser and stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies help us monitor how visitors are using our website and allow us to improve our site and to deliver a more personalised web experience. Some of the cookies we use are essential for the site to operate, whereas others are aimed at enhancing and personalising your user experience.
Information collected via cookies may also be used for providing you with marketing and promotional material when you use the internet. You can control your cookies in your internet browser’s settings.
- How we store and protect personal information?
We store personal information in a combination of computer storage facilities, paper-based files and other records. In doing so, we have taken numerous steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Additionally, we take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information when we no longer need it.
The internet is not a secure method of transmitting information. Accordingly, we cannot and do not accept responsibility for the security of information you send to or receive from us over the internet, or for any unauthorised access or use of that information.
- Do we send personal information overseas?
We may disclose some of your personal information to organisations outside Australia, including but not limited to Canada, India, Ireland, Philippines, Poland and USA for the purposes described above.
By providing your personal information to us, you consent to our disclosure of your personal information to organisations in those countries even though it may not receive the same protections that it would in Australia. You may request us not to transfer your personal information to the countries listed above, but if you do so we may not be able to provide you with the products, services or benefits you have requested from us.
- How you can access your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep personal information we collect use and retain about you accurate and up-to-date. This may include periodically requesting your confirmation of the accuracy of the information we hold about you.
If there are any errors in the personal information we hold about you, or if you tell us that any of your personal information has changed (for example, your address), we will correct and update the information we hold about you.
At your request, we will provide you with a copy of any personal information which we hold about you, unless an exception to the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth) applies. We may charge a fee for retrieving this information, in which case we will inform you of the fee and obtain your agreement to that fee before providing the information.
Please visit the amaysim website at www.amaysim.com.au/terms-policies and complete and submit the Personal Information Request form if you would like to obtain a record of your personal information that we hold.
- How to contact us or make a Privacy Complaint
PO Box R567
Royal Exchange NSW 1225
Complaints will be forwarded to the amaysim group’s Privacy Officer who will acknowledge and respond to complaints within 30 days.
The response will confirm whether or not there has been a breach. In the event of a breach the response will provide detailed information on what action is being taken to rectify the breach, how similar breaches will be prevented in the future and if there are any actions you should take to minimise the impact of any such breach.
Should you deem the resolution as unsatisfactory, or if there is failure to respond within the 30 day timeframe, a request to review the complaint and resolution can be made.
If you remain unsatisfied you can visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) at www.oaic.gov.au to lodge a further complaint.
About this policy
This policy applies to entities within the amaysim group operating in Australia. These include amaysim Australia Ltd, amaysim Services Pty Ltd, Eastpoint IP Pty Ltd, amaysim SaleCo Ltd, Vaya Pty Ltd, Live Connected Holdings Pty Ltd, Live Connected Incubator Co. Pty Ltd, Live Connected Pty Ltd, Zenconnect Pty Ltd, amaysim Ventures Pty Ltd, amaysim Operations Pty Ltd, amaysim Labs Pty Ltd and Australian Broadband Services Pty Ltd.